Despite its name Summerhill is built in a valley, surrounded by low hills. This is mainly limestone country. Although the valley of Summerhill is very fertile, the
surrounding hills contain major deposits of sand and gravel.
The name of Summerhill dates from about the year 1667, when "Sir Hercules Langford, of Summerhill, Co. Meath was created a Baronet. Its Irish form, Drumsamraidh (Drum,
hill, samraidh, summer). Before this it was called Cnoc an Linsigh or Lynch's Hill noting the name of the family that were in control up until that time. The ruin of their castle is still in existence.
Sources - Kildare Archaeological Society Jan. 1910, - Summerhill and its neighbourhood, by Rev. M. Devitt, S.J.